Bristol Rovers 1 Bury 2

Bury came from a goal behind to earn a 2-1 win as suspect defending by Bristol Rovers allowed Joe O'Neill to grab the winner in stoppage time.

With the side weakened by injury, suspensions and their two Canadians away on International training Bury came back to take all three points.

Teenager Lewis Haldane had ended Rovers' goal drought with only their second goal in six games, when his thumping drive early in the second half rifled into the top left hand corner. But they lacked the tightness at the back to hold on to their lead.

From a corner Danny Swailes hit a low ball into the goalmouth which was deflected into his own goal by home skipper Adam Barrett. Then in the fourth minute of added on time Lee Unsworth took a throw in from the right which was headed on by player manager Andy Preece and O'Neill turned the ball in as he went down under a challenge.

Rovers had set out on the search for goals using wingers Wayne Carlisle on the right and Ryan Williams, on loan from Hull, pacy and enthusiastic, on the other flank.

They worried and nagged away at Bury but when they combined Carlisle was responsible for a bad miss in front of goal when he lunged at Williams' inviting chip.

The action stayed for a long period in Bury's last third of the pitch as Rovers pressed forward with ten first half corners. But the finishing was not there.

Making up for his earlier miss, Carlisle with his direct running was giving his marker a hard time. He moved inside with a searching header, that was followed by a short stab on the move from Paul Tait which was kicked off the line.

Bury keeper Glynn Garner then had to make a point blank stop from Barrett, who rampaged through from a free kick from Hands.

Haldane managed to get the ball past Garner with an over the head kick but the flag went up for offside.

Bury had some thinking to do at half time for their chances had been limited to a free header by Phillip Gulliver at a corner and a shot from Preece which rammed against Barrett's legs.

But they came back strongly, as they had from a spell in the first half, and were on top. Their rather fortunate equaliser from only their second corner pointed the way to a valuable three points.